Business in South Africa has an obligation to ensure the health and safety of all employees and to adopt best practices in terms of workplace preventative measures to mitigate the spread of COVID-19.
As the country entered Level 3 lockdown in an attempt to resume much-needed economic activity, managing the risk of infection associated with the influx of people back to their places of work has become of paramount concern for employers.
Not only has the pandemic created a need for additional safety measures to be implemented in the workplace, but also for safety measures that sanitise people in public places.
Watercare Mining, a specialist in microbial control for more than 35 years, has launched an environmentally acceptable, safe workplace sanitisation product to disinfect workers and visitors, thereby reducing the risk of Coronavirus cross-contamination.
The product may be applied as a mist, spray or as a solution at:
- Business entrances
- Mine cage access points
- Lamproom entrances
- Change house entrances
Benefits of the sanitiser:
- Highly active and effective against a broad spectrum of micro-organisms, including all viral strains and bacteria
- Safe for use on humans
- Remains active in the presence of organic matter
- Active over a broad pH range
- Safe for the environment, including waterways
- Safe to use in food preparation areas
Certified bio-based sanitiser to reduce workplace risks
The biological sanitiser, a natural, organic compound, has been tested and verified for use on people by the following certification bodies:
- Certification for Environmental Standards GmbH: CERES 90205-I
- Eurofins: AR-20-HR-008386-01
- SANAS: T0050 and T0350
The sanitiser has been approved for the disinfection of products, systems and people for an extended period. It is a non-irritant (does not cause skin, eye nor respiratory irritation), and has no known allergic reaction. The product has no unacceptable environmental consequences.
It is effective against DNA virus strains, such as herpes, and RNA virus types such as Coronavirus (Influenza, COVID-19, SARS) and Filovirus (Ebola). It is also highly effective against Gram-positive and Gram-negative industrial problem-causing, and pathogenic bacteria.
The biological antimicrobial agent is naturally synthesised in plants, in response to microbial infection. Its effect is brought into action when it complexes with extracellular and soluble proteins associated with the cell wall and membranes of micro-organisms.
- Affects the adhesion of the membrane and outer bacterial surface
- Inhibits biofilm formation
- Inhibits cytoplasmic membrane function
- Causes microbial cell lysis
- Inhibits synthesis of nucleic acid
This interaction of the active ingredient with the microbial cell wall and membrane thereby reduces the infectivity of viruses and bacteria.
Managing the spread of COVID-19 at the workplace
The launch of the product comes against the backdrop of a report that was released by the World Health Organisation (WHO) in which key considerations for the gradual easing of the lockdown restrictions were introduced.
The recommended guidance includes six criteria for moving to ease lockdown restrictions. Countries must ensure that:
- evidence shows COVID-19 transmission is controlled;
- public health and health system capacities are in place to identify, isolate, test, trace contacts and quarantine them;
- outbreak risks are minimised in high-vulnerability settings, particularly in homes for older people, mental health facilities and crowded places of residence;
- workplace preventive measures are established, including physical distancing, handwashing facilities and respiratory etiquette;
- importation risks can be managed; and
- communities have a voice and are aware, engaged and participating in the transition.
WHO noted that the transition out of lockdown is set to be a complex and uncertain phase. Challenges and circumstances vary from country to country and there is no one-size-fits-all approach. South Africa has considered its own set of unique circumstances and taken the decision to ease to Level 3.
Businesses and employers must play a role in safe workplace sanitation if we are to stop the spread of COVID-19.
The Watercare Mining COVID-19 solution dispels the safety and efficacy concerns associated with the traditional sanitisers that have been widely distributed as a safety measure within our community.
Safeguard your business responsibly!
- Click here to download WHO’s guide to getting your workplace ready for COVID-19
Interested in our eco-friendly sanitation product?
Complete the form below and we will contact you.